Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Little Roll Can Go A Long Away

It might sound like a blanket statement, but a fact is a fact. There is no better precursor to a meal, on Earth, than the rolls at Buddy's Pizza. You get a little basket of these gems delivered to the table, down a Coke or two, and you're full before the Za has even hit the checkerboard tablecloth. They are not quite circular, but more of a long oval kind of thing. This hot number is also the rare roll that arrives pre-buttered, negating any wasted prep time on your part before joyous consumption can commence. Only thing is, can they spare these roles? I'll go with my Dad and my brother Gabe and the waitress will hit us with a 4-bagger of rolls. Four rolls for three men? Buddy's is making these rolls; they ought to know that there is no way that 4 rolls are gonna tide over a group of 3. I think sometimes that they just want to see a fight to the death for that 4th roll, because it's gonna happen at some point. Buddy's also deserves credit for not falling victim to the recent trend in which places will throw in some raisin or black bread to go with the traditional fare. No such shenanigans here...these classic rolls have the basket to themselves, just as it says they should in our great nation's Constitution. You also feel like a member of an elite club when you get the bread because you have to know how to work the system. They really won't bring em' to the table unless you ask for them. When I found this out for the first time, it immediately became one of the five most important lessons I have learned in my 24 years of life. I hope these Buddy's rolls can continue to play their vital "role" in our society...my taste buds are forever in debt.

No comments: